Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Before And After: Massive Mint Dresser



Well hello!!


I have a beautiful, beautiful piece of furniture to show you today :-)


It is a huge dresser and not a style I come across all that often around here, and definitely not something that I would normally be drawn to in it's natural state. But phwoar...it does come up a bit special when it's painted!! ;-)


I'll show you first, then bang on a bit about it, if you're interested ;-)






You might wonder why I'd normally not be drawn to this style of furniture? Or not. But I'll tell you anyway. 
You see, its laminate veneer. Or fake wood. Faux timber. Whatever you like to call it...it was going to be a challenge for me. I've never painted laminate veneer before.
But I have taken on challenges before, and this one turned out better than I could have hoped!! To the uninitiated, the challenge with laminate veneer is getting paint to stick to it and stay stuck so it doesn't scratch off.



Wanna hear the story?

Ok, I'll take that as a yes ;-)

So I was asked by a neighbour if I was interested in some furniture they had. Well yes, I was. 
When I first saw it all, I thought wow...that would look so fantastic painted! Then I got closer and saw it was laminate veneer...bummer. I loved it, but I didn't love it that much. 
I had ages ago given myself a rule about real timber furniture only. I'm not really sure why!





Anyway, they were having a garage sale and I said I would wait and see what they had left after that and if I missed out...well too bad.
Obviously I didn't miss out. I bought this dresser plus the three matching bedsides.
(You'll see the bedsides soon)
I did two of the bedsides first. They are done differently to this and if you follow me on instagram, you would've already seen one :-) The third bedside has a side base board that is crumbly and it isn't really sale worthy, so that has been my practice one!




I did quite a bit of research before I started, both on the interweb and chatting to one of my go-to people at Mitre 10. Plus in the back of my mind I had my own experience of getting paint to stick with metal primer.

What to do, what to do??

I knew I had the practice bedside to get it right on, but if it took me three goes to get it right...it was going to cost me a lot more than I wanted to pay!
So I went with the most expensive option...go figure...and what was recommended by my mitre 10 man...laminate primer. Kinda makes sense, doesn't it? A product specifically designed to get paint to stick to a laminate surface. But even still...nobody else had used it on the blogs I looked at and so I was a little dubious.
But they don't often steer me wrong at Mitre 10 (thanks BJ!), and this one worked like a charm :-)

And it only needs one coat, bonus! Most primers I've used need at least two coats.

Then I just painted like usual, lightly distressed like usual and waxed like usual. Easy!
I don't know what I was so scared of!

I also used dark wax immediately after waxing for a different look. Dark wax takes away the 'freshly painted' look, which really suits this one.
It has cured really quickly (I definitely let the primer cure before painting the colour on) as did the colour and now just waiting for the wax to cure.
I know that it's not going to scratch off in a hurry, as the distressing step took me the same amount of effort that it usually does on solid timber furniture. It didn't distress easily!















This one was sold in it's 'before' state, so it's new owner and I discussed it's re-design before I got started. It was so fantastic to have a practice one to do for us both to see how it was going to turn out. I could see how technically it worked and she could see design/colour wise how it would look. It all worked out perfectly, I'd say and I can't wait to see photo's of it in it's new home! It is going to live in an office that is currently being renovated and will be a statement piece as well as provide awesome storage ;-)

What do you think? Is this your style?


Courts xx

7 comments:

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

I love the color and the distress of the dark wax! Great choice wit the lam primer! You rocked it and the styling of the chest is perfect!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

so pretty in mint! i love it, courts!

Rebecca Owen said...

Gorgeous! Very different from what you normally do, but just as pretty!

Rachelle Falcon said...

I think it looks great! And like you I usually shy away from laminate furniture but after your experience maybe I'll start taking a second look.

Kylie said...

I think it's beautiful, that's what I think!

(when I asked two hardware stores about laminate primer the only product they could come up with was one that had three steps, which = three products. No thank you! What's the name of the product you used Courts? I'm really hoping my little tables turn out with the three-in-one I used...)

Sue SA said...

I really like this, but agree with you not keen on veneer. However painted up it looks good and the decorative features and mint combo is a winner!

Alison @ Rubylicious Bespoke said...

Love the colour, it's beautiful. I've used the laminate paint before too and yes, very expensive but it works. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...