Sunday, 16 March 2014

Before And After: Waterfall Dresser



You know how it is when you've been doing a job or work or something for a little while...a creative something I mean, and each thing you create is different than all the others you've ever done? 
Sure there may be some similarities between them all, but they are each unique and you love each one because it holds a little piece of you in it. 
Sounds a little crazy, but when you are doing something creative and you are passionate about your work...you pour a little of yourself into each piece you create. It can't be helped. 
I remember some hair cuts I did in the past that I loved with a passion, and when that happy client walked out, I secretly wished I would bump into them again in the next few days just so I could see my 'work' before it grew out. HAHA!! True story ;-)

Anyway, the point of all this is that a few of those creative works get a little more of you in them than the rest. Who knows why...they just do.
Its almost like playing favorites. Luckily furniture doesn't have feelings. I'd hate for any of them to feel left out ;-)

Well let me introduce you to one of those favorite pieces...












And before I started...




A little during...




And check out the drawer liners! This one was from a newspaper printed in 1950, the same year this piece was made!




This is probably my new favorite colour.

It's almost neon and it is A H M A Y Z I N G  in person!! And looks so good from a distance as well as up close.
Its hard to capture how good this colour is in a photo on a computer or phone/ipad screen.
But I love it.
And I'm not quite ready just yet to reveal what it is.Sorry ;-)





This piece is now safely installed back at its home and it was hard to see it go, I must say!
It really looked so good at mine ;-))

Some quick deets -

*DIY chalk paint
* Heavily sanded (obviously!) with mouse and orbital sanders. (high grit on the orbital)
*Beeswax to seal
*All original hardware. Beautiful!

It came up so beautifully smooth and just the right amount of sheen, curtesy of the beeswax.

Do you love it as much as I? Would you have a neon-ish yellow dresser at yours?
I personally think each room should have a couple of statement pieces ;-)



Courts xx

9 comments:

bec said...

after seeing this on instagram I had to come over to your blog to check out more...I absolutely love the colour and how it turned out and love that you still do your own diy chalk paint...me too!
fantastic.
Bec x

Julie Boarder said...

Such a great piece and you have really modernized it.

I live in Toronto, Canada and have discovered The Block online so have happily been watching episode after episode. I find it interesting to see the difference in style from what they do to what is popular here. Do you watch it? If so, what do you think of their style?

Kylie said...

yes, it's love from me Courtney. beautiful!

Yomisma said...

It was beautiful before, but I love the color you used!!! That yellow is so addictive ;) Do you know the brand and the name of the color?

Thanks for sharing.

Ana

Courtney said...

Hi Julie!

I normally watch the block, but I haven't this season.
They generally do some cool stuff - vintage modern - and when it's done in Melbourne rather than Sydney, it's even cooler again! Melbourne has a unique vibe which I love!! X

Courtney said...

Hi Ana!

It is a beautiful colour - the best yellow!! I'm sorry but I'm not ready to reveal what it is yet, (I did mention that in my post ;-)) I'd like to do some more with it first.
Thanks for understanding!

Courts xx

Courtney said...

Hi Ana!

It is a beautiful colour - the best yellow!! I'm sorry but I'm not ready to reveal what it is yet, (I did mention that in my post ;-)) I'd like to do some more with it first.
Thanks for understanding!

Courts xx

Rebecca Owen said...

This is AWESOME!!!! How did I miss this? great job.

marthaleone said...

Hi Courtney,
It's always fun visiting your blog. It's full of the stuff I love. Great work as usual!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...