Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - My First Project: A Bedside Table



Sorry.

I'm so sorry I've been MIA for the last few weeks...I have had a case of the winter blues which sometimes stops me in my tracks a little, but luckily for me I have some wonderful bloggie friends who took the time to ask how I am and listened to me bang on a while and reassured me that I'm not alone.
So a big thank you to Karen and Catherine for lifting me up when I really needed it. xx



But enough of all that, lets get onto some exciting extrovert stuff!!


A month or two ago, I got an email from my friend Catherine from Paisley Vintage asking if I'd heard from anyone about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint launching in Australia. 
Well no I hadn't, so she promptly forwarded on the email to which (long story short) ended with me being given these amazing products to try...




And try them I have!!



But before I get into my first project, I want to introduce you to Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - just in case you haven't heard of it before. Feel free to scroll down if you already know all about it...I'll allow it ;-)

Annie Sloan invented her chalk paint over 20 years ago and is a versatile paint that is easy to work with as it sticks to just about any surface - wood, metal, matt plastic, terracotta etc. and rarely requires surface preparation. There are 30 shades and all can be intermixed.
For more detailed info you can click here or even try here!

At this stage there are no stockists in Victoria, but it can be bought online. For a full list of  Australian and New Zealand stockists click here.







This is the first piece I've done and belongs to a gorgeous client who is about to move house (and have baby number two!) and this will be one of their bedsides in the master bedroom. It was made by her father-in-law many moons ago, so it's extra special!


This is what it looked like before -




It had been painted a light grey colour a while ago and we kept the existing knob...how cute is it?!

As this was my first project with ASCP, I really wanted to slap it on as fast as I could without prepping to see how it went!
But I didn't.
I tapped into my patience that lives somewhere under a rock inside myself and this is what I did. :-)

The piece was a little rough to the touch so I gave it a good sand to get it nice and smooth. This step probably took me a good ten - fifteen minutes and I just used my mouse sander with 180 grit paper, after I'd taken all hardware off (knob and hinges) of course!





I then gave it two coats of duck egg, which went on easily and with great coverage. Its quite thick, which I like - but you can add a little water if you prefer a thinner concistency. Alternatively you can make it thicker just by leaving it sit with the lid off for a bit.






The next day I gave it a light sand with my 320 grit sanding block to make it smooth. I only did this lightly, it didn't need much as it stayed quite smooth from me sanding prior to painting. Bonus!
We'd decided against any distressing as we both felt it wouldn't really suit this piece.
The next step was giving it a good clean and then waxing with soft wax in clear and um...I'm kinda in love with this wax!!!
It's so easy to apply and the finish is almost like glass. It really goes super smooth.
I used the brush that I was given to apply it and after a bit of practice, I love that too!
It made applying the wax in a thin coat so much easier, as I tend to get a little heavy handed. I then buffed it with a clean, soft cloth which gives it a beautiful sheen.

This paint gives a beautiful texture to furniture and the soft wax enhances that. Check out the close up-






That's my three year old's hand,  I think she liked touching it too! ;-)

So it is really smooth to touch and yet is quite textural. I didn't know if this was because this piece had been painted underneath, but I've since done more pieces that weren't painted and the same thing happened!
I like it! Mind you, this look is obviously not going to suit every single piece of furniture you or I come across, but for the right piece it looks amazing! And for the least amount of effort, another bonus!!





So do I prefer Annie Sloan Chalk Paint over my DIY chalk paint?

Great question!

And my answer is...so far, yes I do!
It is really beautiful quality paint that is not at all gritty - which is one thing you get with DIY chalk paint - and the colours are gorgeous too and all intermixable so you can custom mix a colour.
Sometimes when buying paint to mix into DIY chalk paint, you only need a sample pot and depending on where you shop, the quality is not always there. (I always get the good stuff, never fear!)

The only downfall to me is that stockists are limited at this stage and I need to order online which would be hard for this impatient girl. ;-)


As for the soft wax?
I love, love it! I'd choose it over beeswax now as it's much easier to apply (it's softer) and just seems to get a little more smoother/glassier than beeswax. You can apply it with a soft cloth, the brush just makes it easier to get into nooks and crannys etc. But it isn't a necessity.


So have you/would you try ASCP?

What do you think?


Stay tuned for more project reveals!!


Take care,

Courts xx


*Disclaimer - I was not paid for this post but I was provided with product to try. All opinions are most definitely my own.

9 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

it's adorable! what a cute little piece- you know i love that color!

Kylie said...

I've been waiting for this post Courtney!
Sounds like it's a winner. Do you think it's tough enough to stand up to knocks and bangs and scrubbing?

The little bedside looks gorgeous (but then you transform every piece you work on into something truly beautiful)
I'm glad you're feeling better x

p.s. still undecided on my little 'project'

Alison @ Rubylicious Bespoke said...

I wondered where you were, hope all is ok x
Gorgeous colour, it looks different every time I've seen it. Can't wait to try some. Take care of your self xx

Jo Coastal Home Love said...

Very cute! I adore this paint, just ordered myself some more colours to add to my growing collection ;) Winter blues can suck... sometimes I just need to simplify and go back to basics and of course remember to breathe. Can't wait to see more. :) Jo x

bec said...

nice result...looks like I'm gonna have to join the band wagon and try this ascp....will check it out!
Bec x

Restyled Vintage said...

Nice to see you back on here Courts :)

That little cabinet is super cute, love the colour too...what other colour did you get, I think I spy a second can in the background?

xx Karen

Catherine said...

Love it Courts! Duck Egg looks amazing on that piece :)

ElsL said...

Where did you order the chalk paint from seeing that there are no stockists in Victoria yet? Thank you!

Courtney said...

Hi!

I was given the products so think they came from HQ but if you click on the link in the post above, it takes you to her stockist page. Give one a try, I'm sure they post out anywhere in Australia!

Cheers!

Courts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...