Monday, 12 November 2012

Before And After: Unique Antique



Hello!

Its still a little crazy around here at the moment, hence my lack of posts!! 
But the good news is...I've been getting lots done so I'll have heaps to show you in the coming weeks :)
Tony went back to the doctor today and was told they've found another fracture in his wrist so he'll be in plaster for another three weeks...much to his dismay.
I did offer my services as his assistant again, but he turned me down ;) I'm choosing to think that he's so observant and noticed I didn't 'love' the tiny amount of plumbing I did with him and he's saving me from having to do it again...rather than that I wasn't actually any help!

Anyway...lets talk about this table.
It's unique isn't it?


I've never seen one like it before, which always gets a big 'tick' from me:)

I was very fortunate to meet some beautiful, wonderful ladies at the art show market a few weeks back - stallholders and their friends - and this table came from one of them!
It has been in her family for a loooooong time so I got to hear some of its history. But for the past six years, it had been sitting in her shed.

I love knowing the history of a piece of furniture, it just kinda makes it a bit extra special:)

Having this information did make me do a little contemplating, a lot of pacing back and forth etc.
I really wanted to respect its history and the family, but also bring it into twenty twelve.




I'm happy with the end result!! (Hope you are too, Wani)

It still looks like an old table, just with a modern color now!









I chose a beautiful inky blue, (don't ask me what it is, I didn't write it down and cannot for the life of me remember...sorry!) heavily distressed it and refinished the tops with a mix of beeswax and a brown carnuba wax. I did that to deepen the color a little, it would have been too light with such a dark paint color.

There you have it!

This one will be coming to the Makers' Christmas Market on Saturday December 1st at the library in Horsham so you can come and see its uniqueness in the flesh!

Well...if you're local you can ;-)

Be good...

Courts xx

Sharing this at:
Primitive and Proper

15 comments:

bec said...

great job, it sure is a lovely table, nice to sometimes keep some timber exposed.
Bec x

Lisa said...

I just love it! Love the blue colour. You do such a good job of bringing things up to date but not hiding away their old fashioned features.

Catherine said...

That's really gorgeous! I love the colour you've used, and the distressing is perfect!

Did the woman tell you what it was orginally for? I've never seen anything like it either, it's such a cool shape!

And congrats of the Primitive & Proper feature - you absolutely deserve it!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

oooh LOVE that color! it's awesome! and i love the rustic finish. big puffy heart for you!

Deb Hrabik said...

Love the color! It looks great,
Deb

Helen said...

What a cool table. I LOVE the color!!

Christina O said...

Cute! It's very unique, great updates.

Rustic Vintage Country said...

Wow, that gives it so much life! Suzy x

Sue SA said...

Love this piece, it would be coming home with me if I had space for it!

5Bent Needles said...

Oh My what a wonderful and individual retoration, loving the pop of colour with the distressed blue
well done

Julie Boarder said...

An amazing transformation which still respects the original table.

daiseyjayne.com said...

It never ceases to amaze me how a piece of furniture can be transformed with a bit of paint and care, beautiful!

The Moerks said...

Courts you have such a talent. To see the possibilities in an old piece and turn it into a thing of beauty is amazing.

Kristy said...

This looks fabulous, great job! You really achieved your goal in respecting the piece but updating it. Well done!

Sophie from Grins and Sighs said...

Really like the distressed look on this one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...