Monday, 3 September 2012

DIY Dropcloth Floor Mat...Again!



Hello!!

The exhibition of my furniture is all set up at the makers gallery and I'm happy with how it all looks - a big thank you to Bev and Theresa for their help on Saturday to get it all set up just right!! Also to the Barnes's who without their furniture moving/baby sitting/ ballet watching skills...well all the furniture would be still at our house covered up with nobody to adore it ;-)

Onto my most recent floor mat...



I've shown you a couple of my attempts at DIY floor mats recently, which you can read about here.

This was my first one -


The second one -


Which were both done with paint.

They really soaked up the paint, especially the first one, and dried kinda uneven...which is ok, but just not what I was after. I did water the paint down a little which helped, although probably accounts for the uneven result.

Attempt 3 -


I laid out the drop cloth and taped up some random stripes then painted on...



which I followed the directions to dye some other fabric and while that was doing it's thing, I thought I'd grab a paint brush and paint a dropcloth or two!

This was the result...


Yeah, it bled through a lot...which I guess was to be expected with such a runny medium on a textured surface that tape is really not going to stick to that well!! I do actually like this one though :)

After that I decided I could trust myself to eyeball some stripes, and got this...



Much better!!

BTW, you can check out more of the pink chair here! (That was what was in the bucket dyeing while I created these!!)

I much prefer the dyed dropcloth mats to the painted ones. As long as you follow directions, I think its more cost effective, goes on easier and you use less than you would with paint.

So what do you think?

Hope you're week is an awesome one!!



Courts xx

5 comments:

The Moerks said...

I must pop down and see your exhibition. How exciting. It will be interesting to see where you go with the floor mats.

Catherine said...

Yep - love the last one too!

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating said...

I love how the dye'd floor mats turned out! I like the taped off one the best. What did you use to dye such a large piece of fabric in?

Courtney said...

The 2 striped ones are hand painted on - I didn't soak these, only two small pieces for the upholstered chair :)

Deb Hrabik said...

Your showing will be fun!
I love all of the floor mats.
I'm going back to look at your black and white one. very cool too.
Deb@LakeGirlPaints

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...