Friday, 15 June 2012

DIY Dropcloth Floor Mats


I've continued on with playing around with painting designs on dropcloths for a unique floor rug that can be thrown in the wash.

This is the one I did first...



It really soaked up the paint so for the next one I tried watering the paint down quite a bit.

Which helped.



I used good old house paint for this! This one is the same color as we painted our house!!

I wanted to do a more organic/modern look so went for the freehand chevron design.

With a little neon thrown in because I'm loving it still!!

Btw, you can see my other projects where I've used neon/fluoro here and here.



This is where the girls get creative. Some fierce coloring and drawing goes on at this little table! :)



My Fast Five DIY Details



  • Pre-wash and cut your dropcloth to your desired size.
  • Hem each side on your sewing machine.
  • Choose your design and tape it out or alternatively just have the design in your head like I do :)
  • Grab your paint colors and mix with some fabric medium and water to get a fairly runny consistency.
  • Paint away! Let it dry then throw it on the floor!!


(Oh and to get crisp lines on your design, painters tape works really well.)

So there you have it.

A perfect, inexpensive way to bring some texture to a room!


Have a wonderful weekend!!

Courts xx

Sharing at:

it's OVerflowing

Primitive and Proper

10 comments:

Bianca (ivylovesjack) said...

I'm pretty jealous that those little chairs are in your house and not mine, I have to admit. Did you see this today? http://dailyimprint.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/textile-designer-bec-duff.html
Wouldn't mind you finding and making me one like that, footstool included.

Catherine said...

Looks great! Love the stripe one. I'm thinking about painting the rug I've just bought for my entry... I better not say it's on the list because things go there and fall into the abyss!

Christina said...

They look great! I love the organic looking chevron, especially with the touch of pink.

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

I've been wanting to do this in my boys room. It looks fantastic! I'm your newest follower! And if you have joined my parties yet, I'd love to have your projects linked up...it opens on Saturdays at 7pm.

XO, Aimee

Hannah said...

Do you wash them or vacuum them?

Great idea! I'm scheming up when and where I can incorporate this into my own home!

Courtney said...

You can wash and vacuum them! They shift around a bit when you vac them, i am considering stapling them to the floor ;-)

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

I am so stealing this idea! Did you have to put down a grippy thing to keep it from moving around? Love it!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I love the dropcloth rug/mat idea! did you put something under the mat to prevent slipping on the floor?

Courtney said...

It definitely needs something to help with the slipping!! I know Ikea has anti-slip mats you could put underneath or sew to the drop cloth.
Or theres always the staple it down option!!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

So cool! i love that pop of pink in there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...