Hi and welcome!!
Our daybed has been seen by hundreds of thousands of people all over the world - who'd have thought?! - and is currently up for 'Best DIY Reading Nook' on Readers.com along with some other fantastic DIY reading nooks. It's only open to U.S residents and voters of the winning nook are in with a chance to win fantastic prizes for yourself!
All the details and voting are right here.
Voting opens July 15 and closes July 29. Get voting! X
So this is more my domain...mind you, I am still learning. But here we go -
An 'un-dressed' photo.
1. Adding foam
This part is relatively easy. All you'll need is some craft glue and an electric knife. Oh, and your foam of course! I used 2 lots to get the thickness I wanted. Both thrifted! I think I paid $26 for all the foam I used which isn't bad considering a single bed sized foam mattress is about $80 new!
First I layed the foam onto the day bed so I could mark where I needed to cut.
I knew I was going to have a few joins, but once it's upholstered you don't notice them at all.
Make sure to draw your line around onto the side as well.
Grab your trusty electric knife and lets get cutting!
I found the best way to cut was through the narrow side, looking down on your work as pictured above. If you do it looking at the flat wide side, the cut would tend to be quite wavy and not nice and perpendicular to the top.
Repeat this step until you've got your little foam puzzle pieces fitting nice and snug together. It's better to cut them a little bigger rather than smaller, you can always cut a bit more off. Once it's gone, its gone...kinda like a hair cut!!
Next, grab your glue and drizzle it on, as below.
Sit the foam on and let it dry. I didn't press it down much, the glue seems to hold it there pretty well.
Then you'll have something like this...
I then repeated the same steps with my next layer of foam. I just made sure the joins were in a different place.
I just remembered, you need to glue the edges of your foam together as well as the bottoms. Helps it all stay together!
Next I put on some wadding/batting to help cover any joins and make it a little softer.
It wasn't quite wide enough but I found it just kinda sits there in place, so I stapled it on. You can just see the joins near the middle :)
Here's where it gets a little sad.
You see, I like nice sheets. (this is relevant, bare with me!)
There's nothing like climbing into a bed freshly made with 1000 thread count sheets. A little sateen into the mix, you can't go back to poly/cotton after these babies!
Anyway...of course they're expensive, so I just have two pairs. One on the bed, one in the wash. It all worked out quite nicely...until....one of my fitted sheets ripped.
So, lets not waste a perfectly soft, luxurious sheet I think to myself. I couldn't bare to throw it out.
Onto the daybed it went. which is the next step..
stapling that baby soft sheet on.
Luckily the rip worked to my advantage, I just continued it on, cut off the ends then stapled away!
Now a lot of people may flip this over so it's upside down and pull and staple...but not me.
I like to see that it's nice and tight and there's no bunching in the corners. It takes a little practice to staple from underneath, but it's doable. And it takes a little strength as well to pull it all tight as you can, guess that comes from all those years holding a hairdryer!
You gotta do what works best for you :) An extra pair of hands is always helpful!
I start in the middle on one side and staple almost to the corner both ways, then spin it round and do the opposite side. Then do the same on the other two sides so you've left the corners for last.
Remember hospital corners for making a bed? It's now kinda like that for your corners. Fold some of the excess in out of the way then smooth the rest over until your happy with it. Then get a staple or two in it quick before your arm falls off from pulling it all so tight!!
Now it's time for the slip cover.
It's like it's own fitted sheet that you can take off and wash. Or that was the plan until I discovered that I really dislike sewing. It's still removable, just...a little different.
Put your fabric on upside down. I discovered mine wasn't wide enough so I had to add some more to it, which is the ugly brown you can see!
Then pin each corner, making sure it's on tight.
Now sew each corner, following your pins, then cut off the excess.
Turn it right way out and try it on for size!
Now this is where it got difficult. My sewing skills are pretty basic and I envisoned hemming and threading elastic through...and hopefully I'll sit down and give it a try one day. This is what I'd recommend you do...or get someone who knows how to, do it for you!
I don't have a pic of what I actually did do next. Tony thought it was 'dodgy' and that's coming from the worlds most layed back guy!!
But I'll tell you what I did to avoid having to sit down at that sewing machine again and attempt to put elastic in.
I hand sewed big zig zags from each opposite side with embroidery cotton to pull it tight and hold it on.
After Tony's 'dodgy' comment, he asked how I was going to get it off.
Scissors my friend.
Yep. Then after I've washed it, I'll probably hand sew it right back on again!
Sorry about the lacklustre finish...hopefully there are other bloggers who've done tutorials for putting elastic in! You could also sew ties on...a few on each side (like the old electric blankets) and tie them together to get it nice and tight. Actually I think that's what I'll do.
A less dodgy approach!!
I hope you've enjoyed my 2 part tutorial on building your own day bed. Feel free to email me with any questions and definately share if you actually build one! I'd love to hear about it!!